Thursday 19 April 2012

Materials and Construction

To create the tubular legs I have choosen stainless steel as my material. This is because it is relatively cheap but also strong and can with stand large amounts of weight.

I think that plywood would be a good material for the seat and back rest because it can be strong and it can be moulded easierly to create the bend in the centre of each piece. One option for finishes could be similar to the book stop above and leave the material on show.

As I have choosen to use plywood to make the seat and back rest I wanted to try and make it look less like a wood because to me wood isnt aggressive in fact its peacefull and organic. If I was to use a polyester lacquer to finish the material I could add a glossy effect and colour such as in my final renders or a black like in the paino above.

When constructing the chair and piecing together all the parts I would like to have groves pre cut into the wood which the metal would then slot into and be glued. This is shown in the render above. I think the glued approach would allow for clean lines and a quality looking product however if glue wasnt strong enough I could add screws to help with the strength of the fixings.

No comments:

Post a Comment